Mother-ease Wash & Care Instructions
Wash Before Use- See return policy on washed products and our Laundry Detergent Disclaimer*
Pre washing diapers – Wash no more than 8 -10 diapers at a time (minimize lint accumulation) before use with hot water and laundry detergent. Diapers require 1 pre-wash prior to use.
Swim Diapers – Hand wash in warm water and line dry. Do not wrap wet swim diaper in towel. Garment may bleed colour.
Breathable Diaper Pail Meshes and Wet bags – wash in hot water with detergent before first time use. Colour may bleed.
Choose from the following two storage and wash methods:
(A) Wet pail or Pre-soak system – best for reduced staining
1. Place Mother-ease Breathable Mesh Pail Bag into diaper pail, add water and a drop of detergent* and fill to desired level. Place used diapers into pail and let soak (soiled diapers are rinsed in toilet). When ready to launder the mesh bag may be lifted out of the pail and placed over/near a drain. Empty the remaining water from the pail into the toilet. When much of the water has drained from the bag, place bag back into pail and transport to washing machine. Be sure to open the bag so that the diapers can work their way out during the wash cycle. (best for front loading machines)
2. Run a pre-rinse or short cycle with cold or warm water with ½ oz laundry detergent.
3. Wash the diapers in a full cycle, at highest water level, using hot water (60°C), and the manufacturers recommended amount of laundry detergent. Avoid bleach as it can be very harsh against your baby’s skin and will damage the diaper’s fibers and elastics. Use Kind Fabric Softener to restore softness if desired. Avoid the use of commercial fabric softeners. Over use will result in reduced absorbency.
4. Washed diapers may either be line dried or dried in the dryer on medium heat.
(B) Dry pail system - most convenient
1. Place Mother-ease Breathable Mesh Pail Bag into diaper pail, add used diapers (soiled diapers must be rinsed in toilet). When ready to launder lift the mesh bag out of pail and transport to laundry machine. Be sure to open the bag so that the diapers can work their way out during the wash cycle. (best for front loading machines)
2. Run a pre-rinse or a short cycle with cold water and ½ ounce of laundry detergent.
3. and 4) Follow Mother–ease washing and drying instructions above.
For both wet and dry pail systems wipe pail clean regularly with warm soapy water.
Hand or machine wash covers with your cloth diapers using laundry detergent and tumble dry covers on low, or line dry.
Close Rikki covers before washing or drying and/or use a small mesh laundry bag.
Helpful Notes and Hints
*Mother-ease does not recommend the use of oxygenated products (hydrogen peroxide - OxyClean), chlorides (bleach), fluorides, peroxides nor any harsh solvents (sodium percarbonate).
Do not rinse diapers in toilets containing automatic toilet bowl cleaners.
Use of these products will cause fabric disintegration on all natural fibres evidenced by balding spots throughout one or all layers of diaper and will adversely affect product longevity.
Waterproof Covers – Use over cloth diapers to prevent leakage. Can usually be used 3 to 4 times before washing, provided they aren’t soiled.
Line Dried Diapers – An environmentally friendly way to dry your cloth diapers. Adds moisture to your house in the winter. Sunshine is an excellent way to naturally bleach your cloth diapers. You can soften up your line dried diapers by tumbling them in your dryer for a few minutes.
Diaper Sprayers – simplify a messy diaper clean up. It installs to your toilet’s water supply in 5 easy minutes.
How to Prevent Odours and Staining with the Dry Pail System – Important: to avoid odours from setting into fabrics when using Dry Pail Method, do not leave diapers sitting in a closed pail for days at a time. Diapers should be able to breath. Use a vented diaper pail and a breathable mesh pail liner to encourage air circulation. At the end of each day used diapers stored without pre-soaking should be run through a rinse and spin or equivalent machine cycle. Rinsed diapers can be returned to the pail or ideally spread/hung to dry. Remember set odours are difficult to remove.
Diaper Stains - Rinse soiled diapers promptly in the toilet using a diaper sprayer to minimize stains. Biodegradable paper liners or Stay Dry liners will also help. Should you have a tough stain, soak it in a concentrated solution of Ivory Snow or Dreft gently rubbing occasionally until the stain has lifted. Repeat if necessary.
Help ensure more hot water gets to your machine by running the hot water tap nearest your machine until water is hot.
Creams – Sticky barrier creams used to help prevent diaper rash can leave residues making diapers water repellent. Disposable paper liners will help prevent residue from accumulating on diapers.
Disposable Liners– To simplify the clean up of soiled diapers, disposable paper liners may be laid into the diapers.
Diaper Rash – A number of factors can cause diaper rashes. The first thing to try is more frequent diaper changes. Should the problem persist, run another final rinse cycle and add a cup of white vinegar. For more information visit our web site under Information & Education / Health.
Mother-ease recommends the use of commercially available detergents made for hot water use such as Tide or Ivory Snow. Eco detergents: Kind Laundry Detergent or Green Works by Clorox. Diapers should be washed in water hot enough to kill bacteria- 140°F or 60°C
Mother-ease® will provide a full refund, less actual shipping costs, on unused, unwashed, resalable products for a period of 6 months from the date of purchase. Please call for authorization before shipping back your order and include your receipt with the return.
Lifetime Warranty on Snaps, Elastics, Polyurethane Laminate- PUL
Mother-ease® strives to please its customers by providing them with durable, well designed diapers and covers. We warrant our diapers against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one year from the date of purchase. We warrant our covers again defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 6 months from the date of purchase. This warranty is available to the original purchaser of our products.
Except when caused by manufacturing defects this warranty does not cover leaking, diaper odour or normal wear and tear.
Warranty is void when detergents containing harsh solvents such as hydrogen peroxide or sodium per carbonate are used with natural fibre yarns (cotton, bamboo). See disclaimer below
Laundry Detergent Disclaimer*
Motherease does not recommend the use of any boutique type detergents due to insufficient cleaning strength. These include: Charlies Soap, Allens Naturally, Nellies Soda, Rockin Green, Country Save, Laundry Tarts, any type of soap nuts.
Mother-ease does not recommend any homemade detergents. Fat deposits from soap can accumulated in the diapers layers and cause water repellency.
For complete information on what makes an effective detergent in different water hardness’s: http://www.mother-ease.com/MEZForum/Cloth-diaper-washing-101-m1550.aspx
Do not use laundry detergent products containing sodium per carbonate or hydrogen peroxide (alternative bleach). These ingredients are often listed. When combined with uric acid and ammonia a reaction occurs causing natural fibres to dissolve.
Oversized large waterproof (nylon coated or PUL laminated) diaper pail liners sold through some websites should not be washed with cloth diapers.
Due to the large size they restrict water movement. They interfere with effective detergent removal during rinse cycles and impede water extraction during the spin cycles.
To print this page:
For Macintosh/ Apple Users: Hold down
COMMAND + P
For PC Users: Hold down
CTRL + P